Saturday, April 28, 2018

Bronwyn Somerville

When I heard that Bronwyn in Union Square had Sweinhaxe on the menu, they promptly got added to my to go list. I haven't had a Sweinhaxe since I was in Munich in the '80s.


I must admit that getting to Union Square is a pain in the butt. There is still free parking in Union Square if you know where to look. Bronwyn is normally only open for dinner, but they serve lunch on Saturdays and brunch on Sundays.


Big bar with communal seating to my left.


There is also outdoor seating, and this is where I ended up. 70+ today.


And here is the star of the lunch. Haxe ($$). "2 lb. bone-in, beer braised pork shank, bratkartoffeln, sauerkraut, haus mustard". I had hoped for crispy skin, but since this was braised, and not roasted, that didn't happen. Beware, there is fat involved, but there is also pounds of porky goodness. The pork was meltingly tender and very tasty. The bones just slid out. The potatoes were cooked perfectly. The sauerkraut was hiding underneath the pork. It's not made in-house since you need a fermenters license to do that. However, it's braised with good stuff in-house, and it was excellent and worth coming back for. The mustard was really good and helped to cut down the richness of the pork. I probably get two more meals out of the leftovers that were nicely packed by my excellent waitress, and she included the mustard. So many times I have come home with the condiments missing.


I didn't see the very nice dining room until was on my way out. If I had I would probably have taken a table here. I'll be back for the Wurst Teller. I had to walk across the square and get a 1/4 dark with rice from Machu Chicken for dinner. Best roasted chicken ever!

Address: 255 Washington St, Somerville, MA 02143
Phone: (617) 776-9900

No comments:

Post a Comment