Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Mexican Restaurants. Part 2 of 3.

I had to stop adding to my first post, which can be found HERE because it got way too long.

Here's the next installment. So far, I have not found any amazing places apart from Taqueria El Amigo in Waltham.

La Santa in Tyngsboro was a great find after Tequila's in Chelmsford was closed. The restaurant is big, with beautiful decor and a lunch menu not available online. The warm chips were mostly broken up pieces, with an okay salsa that was too tomatoey for my taste. I had the Choripollo ($11) with refried beans, which had a nice texture due to the mixed-in beans. The chicken was thin, but the delicious Mexican chorizo and cheese sauce made up for it. I'd love to try the CHILES POBLANOS ($13) if I ever find myself in the area again. 8/10

Casa Blanca in Chelmsford, the Santa Fe (Pick one), is available for $10 but isn't listed on the menu. I tried the tostada with Chile Verde instead of my usual Chile Relleno, and it was a great choice. The dish had a good amount of excellent Chile Verde underneath all the salad toppings. The refried beans had whole beans in them for texture, and the yellow rice was delicious. The salsa that comes with the chips was also delightful. Overall, Casa Blanca is a great place to try some tasty Mexican food. 8.5/10


I tried the Burrito Bowl ($10.99) at Dora Taqueria in Woburn with half Chicken Tinga and half Al Pastor. It came with rice, beans, lettuce, Jack cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream, with a tortilla on the side. The rice and beans were perfectly cooked and delicious. However, when I checked my credit card statement, I noticed that I was charged more than expected. Even though it was the same half portion, they charged me extra for the second protein. I found this odd, and when I asked about it, nobody seemed to care. Unfortunately, this experience left me with no desire to return.. 2/10

La Carreta in Nashua, NH, is a must-visit for their Chori Pollo dish ($13.49), which features a grilled chicken breast topped with queso fundido and served with rice, beans, and two flour or corn tortillas. The dish is an old-time favorite, with tender chicken, tasty chorizo, and delicious queso sauce. The beans have a great texture, and the rice is cooked perfectly. Overall, La Carreta is a great place to enjoy some authentic Mexican cuisine.9/10



At Three Amigos in Stoneham, the Burrito Bowl Chile Verde ($10.40) was a great choice. The option to choose from mild or spicy salsa with chips was a nice touch. Since I prefer to pick and choose my ingredients, I usually avoid wrapped burritos. This bowl, however, allowed me to do just that. The chile verde was very tender, although it could have been more acidity. The guacamole on top was very flavorful, with just the right amount of sharpness. The serving was generous, with plenty of delicious pork. 9/10

At Ixtapa in Woburn, the Laredo combo ($15) comes with a Chile Relleno and Chimichanga with Chile Verde. There's no lunch menu or website available. The beans were just okay, and the rice was forgettable. The Chimichanga was decent, and the Chile Verde inside was tasty. The Chile Relleno was cleaned properly, but the batter was too thick, and the cheese on top was very thick. The chips were stale, and the salsa was bland. Overall, I don't think I'll be returning to this restaurant.. 6/10



"We are more fulfilled when we are involved in something bigger than ourselves."

- John Glenn

4 comments:

  1. I was wondering what you thought about authentic Mexican.La Victoria in Arlington has legitimate street food. The pork belly,brisket and the other meats are so flavorful. I like especially the radish,chopped cucumber and chili peppers that authentic tacos has. The other place I like is in Gloucester up on the hill out of the center where the locals live. It’s callled Tacos Lupita. You know it’s good when the clientele is mostly Mexican. I absolutely love the Mexican street trucks in Lawrence. Their are so many in the summer. It’s the real deal. Can you comment somtime on these places? I heard Salem Willows has one now too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La Victoria in Arlington is supposed to be very good. After being served cold food, twice, I haven't been back. I haven't been to any of the Tacos Lupitas locations. The one in Gloucester doesn't seem to part of the group further south.

      Delete
  2. It was down for a few days so I was wondering. Glad to see its back up.

    ReplyDelete