Wednesday, September 27, 2023

The Food Court in the Burlington Mall

I was going to do a write-up about the food court in Hmart, but there was nothing that appealed to me there or couldn't be had cheaper at a sit-down restaurant. When I heard that K-Style in the mall was serving Korean Korn Dogs, I had to take a trip to the mall. How long has it been since I visited the food court? Don't remember, but the escalators had been moved. Below, I have included the places where I hoped to get decent food. 

There are a lot of vendors. Taking a walkabout while waiting for my dog to be ready, I spied several exciting establishments. There is a Mexican place that gets talked about quite a lot, and then, of course, there is Gourmet India, which has been here as long as I have been going here. I noticed that nothing was really cheap. I can have a full sit-down Indian lunch for less than what they charge here. It's the same for Thai. So why go here? It's always a good idea to try new places. It's also an excellent place to people-watch.

Finally, here is the Potato Dog ($6) from K-Style. "Classic dog topped with cubed potato". It was hot, it was crunchy and much to my surprise, it was sweet from the cinnamon sugar on the outside. There was also a good amount of batter underneath. Afterward, I saw a notice that you could ask them to hold the cinnamon sugar. If this is the way they eat it, so do I. Several sauces are available; I picked spicy mayo, which was excellent. Overall, I was happy to have this for lunch. The water is by courtesy of Chick-fil-A next door.

North East of the Border added on a B/M location that has since closed. This is the Burrito Bowl ($12) with Barbacoa. They promised brisket, I think it was chuck. It was tenderized to death. However, there was a good amount of whatever it was. This looks like a mess, but it is way better than it would look in a burrito. The rice was cooked nicely but was very wet. There were beans in the but not in abundance. It lacked seasoning, so the hot sauce packets were used. The Coast Guard was lined up at Chick-fil-A, and I suppressed my urge to ask where they parked their boat.

On a subsequent visit, I had a Quesadilla with pork that was very good. I also tried their HOT sauce, and it was VERY hot. I like hot stuff, but this was too hot for me.

Gourmet India is a longtime resident of the food court. It is currently run by the people who own Tashan in Burlington. I asked if they used vinegar in their Vindaloo? Of course, was the answer. Of course they didn't.

Combo #2 ($12.65?). Choice of Two Entrees, Basmati Rice or Plain Nan Bread, and One Appetizer. The Chicken Vindaloo was spicy but lacked seasoning apart from the heat. I didn't expect this level of heat in a mall. Saag Paneer, hold the paneer didn't work at all. The Saag was tasty, the paneer I left. I see no justification for the paneer itself. Hard and lacking any taste. Almost as bad as tofu. A good amount of rice was cooked well, with each grain separated, but again, it lacked any seasoning. The Samosa was also delicious, with the appropriate Tamarind Chutney and not a green pea in sight.

Regina Pizzeria. I went for lunch on a Saturday and was going to wait until fresh pizzas were put out. After 45 min, I gave up. They were still selling reheated pizzas from yesterday.

Went back on a Friday at 1:00, and it was the same thing.

Tried a Sunday at 1:00, and it was busy enough that the Cheese and the Pepperoni slices were served fresh. The pepperoni could have looked more appetizing. The premium slices were still being reheated. That was a big pass for me. I'm not paying those prices for reheated slices.

Ruby Thai Kitchen serves Orange Chicken and other American/Chinese dishes. Pass.

Sushi Cafe. Sushi in a food court? Forgetabouthit! Especially with no customers.

I'm really looking forward to GRECO Truly Greek opening in the mall. Other places I like is La Rosas, even if the lunch menu is gone. Good brunch offerings. Fogo de Chao for the weekday Market table. Still a great deal at $18. Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ has an excellent low-cost lunch deal. Feng Shui has restarted its weekend AYCE buffet, with lots of interesting stuff available. Don't forget the excellent Sichuan Gourmet for real Chinese nearby.


"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

- Mae West

6 comments:

  1. Bennett’s Sandwich Shop, in the new area where Sears used to be, has some delicious steak and cheese subs. Maybe not quite as good as the original location in Kennebunk, Maine, but still great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually had the sushi on a whim there recently and it was some of the best I’ve ever had. I was pleasantly surprised. Try it before you write it off!

      Delete
  2. Wait - Northeast of the Border is closed? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, was there today. It’s open

    ReplyDelete