Sunday, May 26, 2019

Bobby & Jack's Tewksbury

I was going north today for some BBQ, but a quick look at Google traffic quickly squashed that idea. Instead, I went to Bobby & Jack's Memphis Barbecue in Tewksbury since they now open at noon on weekends.



They are in what used to be an Indian restaurant that I looked into once and never returned. Plenty of parking.



The pleasant dining area.



They have a humongous bar, and I grabbed a hightop here. Plenty of TV's to catch a game.



I started with the THREE MEAT CHILI ($6) for 8 oz. Served with cornbread. I remembered to ask for a corner of the cornbread since that's the best part. It made no difference here since it was pale all over. It was warm. The chili was very thin and needed a ton of salt to come alive. It tasted of chili but completely lacked heat. Of the three types of meat, there was 90% chicken.



From the Between Some Bread section, I picked the BRISKET ($12). "With pickled red onions & pickle chips". "Sandwiches are served overflowin' on a fresh baked pretzel roll with your choice of one side & pickle chips". The pickled red onions were very tart. The pickle chips were nothing special. Much to my surprise, I really liked the pretzel roll that was soft with a bit of chew left. The brisket was tender and moist, so they got that right. It had some smoke flavor and also a smoke ring. What should have been a nice bark was in places overcooked and rock hard and not edible. Of the five BBQ sauces available, I tried the Carolina Gold that was mustardly with a hint of vinegar. The Black Jack "Hotter than Hot" and no heat at all. For my side, I picked the SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE. "With bacon & onion deliciousness!". I have never heard about this, so I had to try it. See any bacon? Me neither. What I got was something that looked like steamed cabbage that completely lacked texture. It was seasoned with plenty of black pepper. Out of curiosity, I googled this, and some really appetizing dishes showed up. Service was pleasant. The website has some of the worst fonts I have ever seen for the headings.

Address: 1777 Main St, Tewksbury, MA 01876 Phone: (978) 455-8184

No comments:

Post a Comment