Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Herradura Vieja Chelmsford

Herradura Vieja in Chelmsford opened about two years ago in the restaurant row strip mall. I have never seen them until recently, but I'm not often in this area. There are some interesting restaurants around here. Nobo (takeout only), Fishbones (no lunch menu), Sichuan Palace (I have Sichuan Gourmet closer), Rosco's (no online menu), Yoong Tong hidden in the square, Madras Grill (was not a fan of the cold dishes on the buffet). 


Plenty of parking.


The inside is very nice, and I got a window booth. There is another dining section to my left and a big bar in the middle.


You get warm fresh chips and an excellent salsa that packed a bit of heat. You also get the dreaded rolled up silverware that leaves you with an unusable wrinkled napkin.


When I used to visit La Carreta in Nashua, they had one dish on the lunch menu that I really liked. When I saw the same dish on Herradura Vieja's lunch menu, I had to pay them a visit. Chori Pollo ($12.25). "Grilled chicken smothered with Mexican sausage and cheese dip, served with rice & beans". The default for lunch is refried beans. They were a bit dense and needed some salt, but I did enjoy them. The rice was light and fluff. The Chori Pollo was excellent, well seasoned, and really tasty. This is a keeper. It was a generous serving.


They have a number of Lunch Combos ($9.95) that looked good. I decided to also order the Lunch Special #4 ($9.95). "Chile relleno, taco, rice & beans". The black beans were cooked nicely but lacked seasoning. There are several ways this dish can go wrong, Labeling it Chile Rellenos, and only serve a single chile. Having too thick batter. Not properly remove the seeds. This place did everything right, not a single seed present, and a very thin batter. You think all of this should be the default, but so many places fail miserably on this. The green tomatillo sauce was excellent, tart, and really tasty. I also got lucky and got a spicy chile. The taco with shredded chicken was OK, the chicken was moist but lacked seasoning. Adding some of the excellent salsa helped a lot. The service was very pleasant, and I'll be back when I have a craving for a Chile Relleno. No Taco Tuesday specials, but who need them with food this good.

Address: 7 Summer St, Chelmsford, MA 01824 Phone: (978) 455-3954

No comments:

Post a Comment