Tuesday, November 24, 2020

The Smoke Shop Somerville

The Smoke Shop in Assembly Row in Somerville is the third location and was recently joined by a fourth in Harvard Square. They are also in on the Seated app deal with 50% in rewards Mon-Wed.


There is free parking in the parking garages, but the metered spaces are still in effect. Plenty of outside seating both in front and in the back.


The inside is the same, apart from table spacing and added shields.


I went with the Pit Boss ($27) "Choice of Three Meats & Three Sides". I was surprised that the price was only $1 more since my last visit two years ago. Turns out that the amount of protein has decreased significantly. I picked the Ribs, Brisket and The Smoke Shop BBQ's Famous HOT Wings. "fermented habanero, brown butter". The wings were HOT but very tasty. Unfortunately, they were seriously overcooked and bone dry. My sides were Pimento Mac & Cheese, Pit Beans and Crinkle Cut Fries. The mac & cheese was excellent, creamy with a little bit of heat. This is the first time, in any location, that I have gotten creamy M&C. The beans were also way better than the last time, well seasoned, and really tasty. Luckily, they are not the icky sweet Boston baked beans. The previously frozen fries were excellent, crispy, and with a nice seasoning. The ribs were good, as was the brisket and I asked for the brisket from the fatty end, it tends to be juicier that way. The service was OK.

I didn't realize that there was a voluntary 3% kitchen fee added on. I didn't bother to dispute it, but I really dislike this practice. Why should I help the owner pay the staff? If the restaurant does 1M in sales (they do way more), it would put 33K more in the owner's pocket.

Contact me for a Seated link that will give you an extra $15 in rewards.

Address: 325 Assembly Row, Somerville, MA 02145 Phone: (617) 623-7427

No comments:

Post a Comment