Thursday, November 18, 2021

Town Tavern Arlington

Town Tavern in Arlington opened in mid '18. They are located just outside Arlington center. I looked at their menu shortly after they opened, and didn't see a lunch menu, so they fell off my radar until I was invited to do a writeup. The only thing I don't like is that they open at 12:00. I prefer to have my lunch at noon, not at 12:30. So I'm picky!


There is only on-street parking, but at least the dreaded parking meters haven't made it this far. They have "Tavern Treats" that change monthly and are announced on FB and on their website. They were quick to add outside seating.


I started with Shrimp Poppers (12). "Oven Roasted Shrimp and Cheese stuffed Shishito Peppers. Citrus Aioli". These were absolutely delicious. Tender shrimp with tasty peppers. Sometimes you get lucky and get a hot one, but not today. Splurging a bit, but it's gift card time again. 09/08/21
After I posted this on IG, I didn't even get a like from them, and then they unfollowed me. No more free advertising on IG from me when lunching here.


From the September Tavern Treats, I picked the Za'Atar Thighs (16). "Bone in, Skin on, Za'Atar rubbed Chicken Thighs over a Potato, Pepper and Brussel Sprout Hash. Basted with a Roast Garlic Yogurt". Brussel sprouts and I don't get along very well, but I decided to give them another chance. If there were brussel sprouts in there, they completely eluded me. They might have been hidden by the excellent dark and rich sauce. The chicken was perfectly cooked, and about 10 seconds from being pink, that's how good the kitchen is. This was an excellent dish, and I really enjoyed it. They use thighs in a number of their chicken dishes. That gets them a big thumbs up from me and everyone else who likes tasty chicken. 09/08/21


Mass Ave Dumplings (12). "Tavern Blend Pork and roast Veggie Pot Stickers in a Bacon Dashi". The dumplings had super thin skins, and the filling was excellent. The last time I had these, they had a hint of heat that was absent today. The bacon dashi broth is genius. It keeps them warm, and an added bonus is a tasty broth. And they arrive steaming! I had to ask for a spoon, so I could get some broth with the dumplings. 09/26/21


Chicken La Mesa (12). "Fried Chicken sliced over shredded Iceberg tossed in a Lime and Ancho Yogurt with Black Bean, Corn, Tomato, Smokey Bacon Bits and Cotija. Fried Tortillas Strings". This is a better way to eat their fried chicken instead of the sandwich, and both use thighs. The chicken was crunchy with a well-seasoned batter and cooked perfectly. The salad was excellent, but cutting the lettuce lengthwise made it hard to eat. Slicing it across helped a lot. 09/26/21


From Octobers Tavern Treats, I picked the Rabbit Schnitzel (18). "Breaded and Pan Fried Rabbit over a Tasso, Red Cabbage. Sweet Potato and Roast Brussel Sprout Hash". This looked great, but the schnitzel contained a piece of rabbit that was about 2mm thick. The very thick breading was seasoned beautifully and cooked well, but the rabbit disappeared in the breading. The Brussel sprouts were raw. The best part of the dish was the big chunks of tasso ham. 10/06/21


Today's nom was the Panéed Chicken (13) because it uses thigh. "Boneless, pounded and lightly breaded Chicken Thigh in a Lemon Pan Gravy over Spaetzle tossed with grilled Kale and Smokey Bacon Bits". I actually had to look up panéed, and it just means coated in breadcrumbs and then pan-fried in hot oil. This was the best-cooked chicken I have had in a long time. Big, tender and juicy with a pleasant coating. Unfortunately, the bacon had been reduced to just charred blackened bits. The Spaetzle had been delicately browned, and the whole dish was just excellent, apart from the bacon. I even liked the kale. Not sure if I got the extra pan gravy that I asked for. 11/14/21

I would gladly pay another $3 for this and get two thighs as I did with the September Tavern Treats above.

If you ever want to talk about why our air conditioning bill is so high, my door is always open.

Address: 201 Massachusetts Ave, Arlington, MA 02474 Phone: (781) 859-5413

No comments:

Post a Comment