Sunday, April 7, 2019

Rusty Can Byfield

Rusty Can in Byfield is situated just before Newburyport at exit 55, and it's about a 30 min drive from home, but good grief does Rte 95 become boring after the split. No menu on the website, but they post their specials on FB. I just found the real website for Rusty Can with a menu and correct prices. There is now a Rusty Can sign on Rte 95 before the exit.


They have a big parking lot, but it fills up quickly. It's a busy little plaza.



Don't miss the specials board in the back. They have some really creative specials. 30 minutes after opening people were waiting for tables.



I stuck with the two meat platter (21). Platters come with White Bread, Corn Bread & Honey Butter, Pickles & Onions and two sides. I picked Collard Greens and Mac & Cheese for my sides. The Collard Greens was the real deal, cooked well with a vinegary tang. The M&C was creamy and seasoned well, and you got shells that hold the sauce. The cornbread was tasty and really light with excellent honey butter. The onions had been rinsed off and that shows that the kitchen cares. The amount of ribs have gotten significantly smaller since my first visit. The ribs were fall off the bone but had a nice rub and smoke ring. The brisket was so tender that I cut it with the fork. It was also really tasty. Service here is always service with a smile.



I couldn't resist the Smoked Pork Belly Melt (12) from the specials board. It comes with one side, and I picked the BBQ black beans since I have never had them and figured they would heat up well. This was fantastic with tender pork belly, Orange American cheese and smoked onions. The onions weren't overcooked so they added a nice texture. The BBQ beans were just OK. Am I the only one that thinks the marble rye lacks taste? I had light rye recently that was tasty.



I took a peek out back, and there is the smoker where things happen.



There is a biker club next door, and they don't exactly announce themselves. Firepit and benches out back.

Address 6 Fruit Street Byfield, MA 01922 Phone (978) 462-1204

3 comments:

  1. Curious about the taste of the pickles. Curious what kind of sauce or cheese is on the pork belly - it looks very yellow. Good picture of the smoker - that alone makes me want to try the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not that much into pickles but they tasted OK. The onions had been rinsed off and that show that the kitchen cares. I think the cheese is cheddar. It was a really good sandwich.

    ReplyDelete