Wednesday, November 4, 2020

The Millers Tavern Methuen

The Millers Tavern in Methuen had a great deal available on the Seated app. I downloaded the app before Covid and it promptly became useless, but are now active again and have quite a few locations outside Boston. On my last visit here I had a very good Reuben that was made with brisket. Well, it was really a Rachel since they use slaw instead of sauerkraut.


It's a big place with a heated porch on the right.


When I got here at noon, the place was empty. A few customers trickled in during my lunch. It makes me nervous about the restaurant seeing a big place like this empty.


I started with the French Onion Soup au Gratin (6.95). "Topped with seasoned croutons and melted cheese". There was nothing french about the soup. The cheese wasn't gruyere and the onions were just pale bits floating around that had not been properly caramelized. As a result, the soup lacked a depth of flavor and was quite bland. The croutons were tasty.


This was followed by The Millers Irish Nachos (Family Size $14.95). "A skillet of sidewinder fried potatoes topped with shredded corn beef, melted cheddar, Dublin sauce, sour cream and scallions". Hold the sour cream and the scallions didn't make it. The Dubliner sauce didn't make it either. Didn't notice until I saw this dish again on a later visit. Looking at this gigantic skillet, I should have stuck with the smaller potion. I had to google "sidewinder potatoes" and it obviously refers to the shape, but they were new to me. The potatoes were excellent, browned on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The cheese and the sauce were tasty as was the brisket, even if it was a bit sparse. This is a potato lover's dream and I was very happy, even if I now have potatoes for days. The service was pleasant. 

I'll update the post if and when I know if the Seated app worked. I contacted Seated and they made another reservation and the receipt scanned fine. 5 minutes later 50% of my bill showed up as rewards. Lesson learned, make sure the reservation shows up in the app. First time user... Contact me for a link that will give you an extra $15 in rewards.

Address: 105 Pleasant Valley St, Methuen, MA 01844 Phone: 978-208-8521

No comments:

Post a Comment