Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Tu y Yo Somerville

I visited Tu y Yo in Somerville a long time ago and haven't been back since. They are now offering a great deal available on the Seated app and are open for indoor dining. Depending on the weather, outdoor seating is also available.

Update 09/21/23. Lunch Wed-Fri, takeout only.

There is free on-street parking. Not sure what happened, but all the nice signs outside are gone. The owner said new signs will arrive next week. At the conclusion of this write-up, there were still no signs of the signs.


The inside was pleasant and bright but very different from my previous visit. The same tacos that are available on the lunch menu are also available as a Taco Tuesday special at dinner time.


I picked Carnitas, Carne Asada, Cochinita and Fried Avocado. Each was $2.50. The tortillas were very fresh, and all the fillings were tasty, and there was plenty of it. I really liked the fried avocado that was crunchy with perfectly ripe avocado. I'll be back for this again. The left sauce was spicy (it really was!), and the right one was mild but tasty. The owner was friendly and gave me a jar of their salsa, which was really tasty with a hint of heat. 11/10/20


How is this for a Taco Tuesday? I was excited to see that they served Tacos de Birria (13.99), and using the Seated app, I will get 23% of my bill as reward money. "Three Beef Birria Tacos on a crispy red, flavorful tortilla with melted mozzarella cheese. Served with Consommé, perfect for dipping your Tacos de Birria. Toppings: Cilantro Pickled Onion and Lime". This time, I got chips with an excellent salsa. This was my first time having Birra Tacos, but I thought they were excellent with tasty fillings and excellent dipping broth. I'll have this again. 12/08/20


Fried Avocados Appetizer (8.95). "Crispy panko fried avocado with pico de gallo on an aioli sauce". There was also cabbage involved. The avocado was fried perfectly and was nice and crispy. The aioli was delicious. I thought this was excellent, but I'm biased about avocados in any form or shape. 08/18/21


Brunch Huevos con Papas y Chorizo (10.95). "Potatoes and Mexican sausage slowly cooked with your choice of two fried eggs or scrambled eggs. Accompanied with soft tortillas, avocado, black beans and sweet fried plantains". It comes with a couple of plantains that I almost asked them to hold since I have never met a plantain that I liked. These were excellent, and now I get why people eat plantains. The eggs and chorizo with potatoes were good and seasoned well. The black beans were outstandingly good. A couple of slices of avocado on top didn't hurt either. This was a pleasant meal.
Having made the reservation with the Seated app, I got 23% in rewards. Seated also had a weekend promo for an extra $5 in rewards. Another bonus is the free parking. 08/18/21


Brunch Huevos con Chorizo (9.95). "Scrambled eggs with Mexican sausage. Accompanied with soft tortillas, avocado, black beans and your choice of sweet fried plantains or home fries". This is the same dish as the one above, sans potatoes but with home fries. I prefer the other version with the potatoes incorporated, especially since the home fries were just lightly sauteed and had the skins left on. I did want to try the home fries, so I'm not really complaining. 08/15/21

They posted a picture on IG of a pork dish that sounded good enough to try.


Puerco en Salsa de Cacahuates (17.50). "Chopped pork tenderloin sautéed with a sauce made with peanuts, tomatoes, costeños and jalapeño". I have no idea what costeños are, and neither does Google. I contacted them, but no response. Sorted out in the comments. This was an excellent dish where the ingredients blended seamlessly together into an exquisite sauce. It had a hint of heat from the jalapeño. The pork was on the dry side, and I believe it's pork loin, not tenderloin. If you overcook tenderloin to this degree, it's a crime. Rice and black beans are, of course, included.

Having again made the reservation with the Seated app, I got 23% in rewards. Seated also had a weekend promo for an extra $5 in rewards, so this puts the dish into the brunch dishes price range. Got $9 in rewards. 08/22/21


Who can resist Brunch Huevos con Nopales ($9.95)? "Scrambled eggs with Mexican cactus". I really liked the Huevos con Papas y Chorizo and asked if I could have that with Nopales added? Of course, and here it is in all its glory (+1.50). I figured that this should be a good dish, and it really was excellent. The cactus added a touch of tartness and was tasty. It could have had a bit more texture since it was completely soft. Love the black beans! Seated had upped their rewards to 32% this weekend. 08/29/21

Service has always been very nice and professional.

Address: 858 Broadway, Somerville, MA 02144 Phone: (617) 623-5411

Contact me for a Seated link that will give you an extra $15 in rewards.

A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.
-- John A. Shedd

2 comments:

  1. Costeño https://spicetrekkers.com/products/spices/chile-costeno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. Googling costeños chile works. costeños alone doesn't work.

      Delete