Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Tequila's Wakefield

Tequila's Mexican Cantina in Wakefield are now serving lunch inside again, so they are back on my lunch rotation. They have some excellent lunch offerings and have been sorely missed. Not many places give you three dipping sauces with your chips. Taco Tuesday starts a 4:00, so not working for me. The default at lunch is to hand out the dinner menu, and you have to ask for the lunch menu. I'm not happy with that.


This is another place that doesn't start serving lunch until 12:00. I want my lunch at noon and not at 12:30. They have expanded the outdoor seating area. Don't park in the plaza unless you are a customer. They will tow you otherwise.


Lunch Huevos con Chorizo (8.50). "Ground Mexican pork sausage mixed with eggs and potatoes, served with rice, beans and tortillas." I seem to have a 50/50 chance of getting the potatoes, and today they were missing again. When I told the waitress, she offered to redo the dish, but I was OK with what I got. It was a big serving that was really tasty. They have gone back to serving the refried beans in a tortilla shell. The rice is fluffy and really enjoyable. I was offered a choice of tortillas and went with the flour tortillas. You can see the three different salsas in the background. I really liked two of them, but the third one was too sour creamy for me. Something changed in the chipotle salsa, and it was now excellent. Really well balanced. Since the pandemic started, I haven't dined in and didn't recognize any of the staff today. 09/21/21


Lunch Pork Carnitas Tacos (10.00 11.50). "Melted jack cheese, slow cooked pork, pico de gallo, escabeche red onions, queso fresco." The chips were really fresh today, and the chipotle salsa keeps on getting better and better. Today it was really thick and chipotley. The tacos were loaded, and the carnitas was really tender and delicious. I really like the crunchy and tart onions. The rice had been under the broiler a tad too long, so the top of the rice was crispy. Still tasty, as was the refried beans in its little shell. 11/02/21


Lunch Enchiladas Suizas (9.00 11.00). "Tinga, with tomatillo salsa and melted cheese, topped with crema and queso fresco, served with rice and beans." Much to my surprise, I got one tinga and one chicken. Could have done with some more tomatillo salsa. The salsa I got with my chips was long gone. The chicken was surprisingly good, still tender and juicy. The tinga was very tasty. Beans, rice is always excellent, as is the service. I have always been intrigued as to why they are called Suizas (Swiss) and finally looked it up. 11/23/21


Enfrijoladas (11.00). "Two torillas stuffed with tinga, covered in creamy pureed beans, topped with chorizo, crema, cilantro, queso fresco and avocado slices (served with rice)." Despite being chicken, this was excellent! There were also onions on top that had been properly washed. The chorizo was really delicious. The avocado was creamy. No complaints from me at all. 12/07/21

I would include Chori Papa (2) Tacos (9.00), but after yesterday's visit, I will not return. Contact me offline about the reason. 12/08/21

I have always been curious why the rail crossing up the street is guarded. One day, I stopped and asked the guard why he was there. He had absolutely no idea! Maybe the town is requiring it? I asked on FB, and the most logical explanation was that this is a union job, and they never go away.

Address: 979 Main St, Wakefield, MA 01880 Phone: (978) 710-5512

Be happy, take care of your teeth, always let your conscience be your guide.

-- Patti Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment