Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Eleni's Mediterranean Grille Winchester

Eleni's Mediterranean Grille in Winchester took over the space that was home to another Greek restaurant that I visited once.


The place is small, and there are only on-street parking and not a lot of it. There is metered parking on the other side of the rotary.


They have a vertical rotisserie for the gyro meat. No more frozen sliced meats.


Salads are prepackaged.


I went with the Gyro Plate ($13.90). "Served with French fries, hot pita bread, tomato slices, onion and a side of tzatziki". From the online menu. In reality, it was a Greek Salad on the side. Wasn't really on the side. The dressing was thick and white with yoghurt. A greek dressing is supposed to be a Greek vinaigrette, so I have no idea what this was. You have a choice of French Fries or roasted potatoes, so I went with the roasted lemon potatoes. They were lemony but also overcooked. Not sure why the pita was served underneath the food unless it was to prop up the gyro meat. It looks to be a good size heap of meat, but it was served on top of the potatoes and the salad. The meat was tender, but it had been cut up into small bits. It also needed more seasoning. Sprinkling some marjoram on top doesn't really qualify as seasoning. The tzatziki was very good. For $13.90, I didn't expect paper plates and plastic utensils. Considering what I got at Brothers Kouzina for a dollar more, this was expensive. I can't wait until Brothers open in a new location.


They do have seating. There is a four-top with stools around the corner. The place was clean, and the tables were quickly wiped down.

Address: 599 Main St, Winchester, MA 01890 Phone: (781) 729-2889

1 comment:

  1. I've been there two times since they opened and have to say that Eleni's is big improvement over the previous Greek restaurant that was in the same location. On my first visit I had the Lamb Souvlaki. I asked that the lamb be cooked medium rare. They did it perfectly. A generous portion wrapped in a soft warm pita with the usual veggies and sauce. It made for an excellent lunch. On my second visit I ordered the Gyro Pita. I thought it was also very good but the meat could have used a bit more seasoning. I will definitely be trying Eleni's again. PS: I'm also hoping that Brother Kouzinas opens another place soon.

    ReplyDelete