Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Cracker Barrel Tewksbury

So shoot me, but I like Cracker Barrel and occasionally go to their Tewksbury location. The sound level can be a bit high when they are busy. They have a misnamed Saturday special and got me a free meal when I complained!


They have a big parking lot, and they need one!


This was taken on a Sunday at lunchtime. The place was packed, and I was promised a 15-minute wait, but it was probably half of that. I got lucky and was seated in the smaller dining room furthest away, so the notice wasn't a problem. Despite being packed, the service was quick.


Country Fried Pork Chops ($10.99) is the Saturday Special. "Starting at 11 AM, enjoy two crispy hand-breaded fried pork chops smothered in roasted pan gravy plus a choice of two Country Sides." The pork chops were crispy, but they weren't really pork chops, just pork loin. The chops had been tenderized until almost mushy. They weren't really smothered either despite being ordered with extra pan sauce. My waitress quickly brought out more gravy. My sides of Steak Fries and Hashbrown Casserole were both delicious. The service is always pleasant here. Going to the register to pay is a pain in the butt. I'm now paying at the table, using their app. One thing I can't figure out is how do they know that I already paid? 10/02/21


Weekday Lunch, Meatloaf ($7.49). "Our special recipe Meatloaf, served with mashed and a choice of a Country Side." Online prices are with tax included. I did ask corporate what the difference was between the lunch and the regular meatloaf. Size. The sides were normal-sized, but the meatloaf was just a thin slice. It doesn't come with gravy. Who serves meatloaf without sauce? Heathens! My waitress kindly gave me a side of it. The meatloaf was surprisingly tasty and also very tender. I liked it and will be back for the full-sized serving. I don't remember the mashed have the skins left in, but there they are. Adding the butter, salt, and pepper improved things a lot. Guess who really likes the Hashbrown Casserole? Paying at the table today did work. 11/04/21
On a later visit, I got to see the full-priced version, and it was just a slightly thicker slice of meatloaf. The sides seemed more generous. Pass.


There is nothing wrong with breakfast for lunch, is it? The Cracker Barrel's Country Boy Breakfast ($12.39). "Enjoy three farm fresh eggs, Fried Apples, Hashbrown Casserole and grits, plus a choice of Sirloin Steak, Sugar Cured or Country Ham. Comes with All the Fixin's." I had to ask what "all the Fixin's" was? "Includes Buttermilk Biscuits, Sawmill Gravy -plus- butter and the best Dickinson's preserves n' jam we could find." Butter and the Jam didn't make it. Hold the fried apples. The promised extra hashbrowns didn't show up either.
The eggs were cooked as ordered but lacked browning. The ham was salty, and I was OK with that, but it was also really dried out. The gravy was tasty but so thick that you could cut it with a knife. The biscuits were very crusty on the outside.
I have never had grits that I liked until I tried them at The Porch in Wakefield. This wasn't even close, never again. 12/01/21


Country Fried Shrimp ($11.69). "Our buttermilk breaded fried shrimp served with hushpuppies plus choice of two Country Sides." Nowhere does it say it comes with fries, so here is my order with fries and hashbrowns and fries. It's a good thing that I like their fries. Don't think I have had hush puppies before, but these were OK. I know where the name comes from. There was a good amount of shrimp, but unfortunately, the batter was so overcooked that they were rock hard. The shrimp was, much to my surprise, not overcooked. The dipping sauce was very pleasant. 12/29/21


Bacon n' Egg Hashbrown Casserole ($10.69). "A double portion of our signature Hashbrown Casserole, griddled and layered with Colby cheese, farm fresh scrambled eggs and hickory smoked bacon all topped off with fried onions, diced tomatoes and green onions. Served with Buttermilk Biscuits". The biscuits never materialized, nor did any form of bread. Everything else was present. I really liked the crispy onions on top; otherwise, it was just an OK dish. The serving was soo small that there were no leftovers, and I always have leftovers. 02/13/22

Double Meat Breakfast ($10.99 $11.29). "Three eggs with grits plus Thick-Sliced Bacon and Smoked Sausage Patties. Comes with All the Fixin's."


Since I wasn't too impressed by the breakfast offerings, I decided to skip the Double Meat Breakfast and instead go with the Southern Fried Chicken ($11.99). "Four pieces of bone-in fried chicken with honey, served with two Country Sides and Buttermilk Biscuit or Corn Muffins". There is no way to make any substitutions. The honey was absent; I didn't miss it. I had their excellent fries and Hashbrown Casserole as my sides. One wing, one leg, one thigh and a breast, all on the bone. Their batter is crisp and really well seasoned, almost peppery. Chicken is cooked perfectly. This is not a bad deal, all things considered. 03/13/22

Their Friday Fish Fry is an excellent deal, but the fish tend to be a bit dry and often sit in a pool of oil. Let me know if you have asked them to cook the fish less and if it worked? Or if you have had it in another location, with the fish cooked correctly.

Address 1795 Andover St, Tewksbury, MA 01876 Phone number (978) 858-3717

Trust your gut. Forgive yourself. Be grateful.

-- Cheryl Strayed

No comments:

Post a Comment