Wednesday, September 14, 2022

I love my Potatoes! I'm done!

If you have followed my blog, you know I'm picky about my potatoes. They have to be done right, or wrath will follow. You won't see any homefries here with slimy skins still attached. A few previously frozen French Fries might show up if they have any redeeming qualities.

Celtic Nachos (Small - 12| Large - 13) from the Irish Cottage in Methuen. "Homemade Kettle Chips Smothered in Cheddar Cheese, Topped With Bacon Bits, Onions, Tomatoes, Jalapenos, and Salsa". Salsa on the side, please. I'm not even sure that salsa and nachos should be in the same sentence. Large, of course, since it's only a dollar more. The waitress did warn me that it was big and she was not wrong. I was a bit miffed that the chips weren't salted, but after thinking about it, the dish wouldn't be edible with that amount of salt involved. The chips were excellent, and all the promised toppings were present. It could have been more bacon, of course. The jalapenos look quite fierce, but they lose much of their heat after being warmed up. The nachos were well-engineered with cheese and toppings on all the layers. Much to my surprise, the salsa was actually a pleasant addition.


The lemony roast potatoes with Kokonisto at the newly opened Kouzina in Peabody were impeccable.


The house-cut French Fries at Shadi's in North Andover are worth the trip alone. Other excellent hand-cut fries include The Wardhurst.


Pork Ribs with Potato from Sichuan Palace in Chelmsford is an outstanding dish with perfectly cooked potatoes. Listed as non-spicy but disregard that and order the spicy version.


We can't forget the baked potato; that is a legend in itself. Plain or loaded with cheese, bacon, and scallions, it is all good. Here is the loaded potato (+1) from Texas Roadhouse accompanied by the twin pork chops that they cook pink. Not sure who comes up with serving a peppercorn sauce with pork chops, but it's delicious!


On that visit to Texas Roadhouse, my waiter raved about the Tater Skins. "Plate of 8 baked potato skins topped with melted cheddar cheese and bacon bits". I have never ordered this because, you know, I don't like skins. They looked good in the picture, and I was hoping they had crisped up the skins or something. Nope, but at least the skins weren't soggy, a minimal amount of actual potatoes. The cheddar was good, but the bacon bits were crisped to death. Been there, got the T-shirt. Never again. At least I had a coupon for a free app.


Mount Vernon in Somerville serves a Throwback Thursday menu at very reasonable prices. Double Thick Porkchop (currently $10.99) with stuffing and two sides. These are previously frozen fries, but they are cooked perfectly every time. I'm not a fan of frozen fries, but these are as good as they get. The mashed is the real deal made from potatoes.


Portuguese chips or fried cubed potatoes are other favorites. It seems that all Portuguese restaurants serve these, all equally good.


I'm not a fan of Steak Fries, but the ones from Lobster Tail in North Andover are slightly smaller and cooked perfectly.

The Millers Tavern in Methuen served up Irish Nachos. "A skillet of sidewinder fried potatoes topped with shredded corn beef, melted cheddar, Dublin sauce, sour cream and scallions". The sidewinder moniker is due to the shape of the potatoes. This was new to me and absolutely delicious. Not on the menu currently.

I also like my mashed potatoes, but I haven't found anyone that serves outstanding mashed. Most are acceptable after adding butter and salt. Any suggestions?

This is my last weekly post after posting for 10 years. I'm done. I might do a longer post for a new restaurant or a themed one like this. Suggestions?

When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.

-- Malala Yousafzai

22 comments:

  1. Love reading and see pictures of your meals!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your posts about restaurants, and will miss seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peter. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Take care Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your posts... will miss them.. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy reading your Posts. Some are hilarious and spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will miss your posts…didn’t consistently agreed with them, but you are definitely leaving a big hole to fill.
    Any chance you might reconsider…Please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your posts. Loved them…although they I didn’t always agree.

    Would you consider chang8ng your mind…PLEASE??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Peter, it’s been a great 10 years, reading and following your travels. Will look forward to any new reviews you choose to do…. mcel215

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all the posts over the years! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peter, Thank you very much for your hard work and reviews for the past 10 years! I looked forward eagerly for your latest review and would check your site on a regular basis for your latest post.

    I liked that you reviewed mainly lunches, because that is what I tend to eat when I do eat out. More convenient, smaller portions and less expensive than dinners. I also liked the recent change in format to more in-depth reviews of a restaurant.

    You introduced me to many restaurants and places that I never would have heard of or considered. And I did visit a number that you had recommended. Unfortunately, Covid-19 came along and put a monkey wrench in the whole process. During most of 2020 and all of 2021, I did not eat out at all and did very little take-out. This began to ease at the beginning of 2022 and hopefully, the restaurant and dining scene will get back to normal.

    Happy retirement and do let us know if you have any future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for blogging

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait, what? Why are you stopping? That makes me so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don’t think he meant he was done with the blog, but with what he rates poorly prepared potato’s and is done with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure about that. There hasn't been a new post in a while.

      Delete
    2. He didn't read the post to the end.

      Delete
  15. Always looked forward to reading about your dining adventures. Great pictures and excellent commentary. Very well presented. So nice to "discover" new restaurants to try. Perhaps as suggested you could categorize by either type of restaurant - Italian, Mexican, etc. or type of entry - your last entry was "potatoes" and from time to time post restaurants reviews or type of entry reviews you have compiled in particular categories? Thank you, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would love to see more posts in future. Please consider less frequent updates

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will miss reading about your restaurant adventures and I will miss your inspirational quotes, too! I confess to preferring the previous format, it was fun to follow along with your week in a travelogue style - The Adventures of Peter; Lunch Edition. Hope you will post when you feel like it, but in any case thanks for the vicarious fun. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love reading your reviews - you often share places I would never go to or find.... And then I end up having lovely food adventures. You're a great writer and I love your commentaries. I hope you will consider publishing monthly. I guess I'll have to go back and re-read! Really grateful for your tips and ways of looking at what makes a restaurant "good" and your opinions on how food should taste. All the Best!

    ReplyDelete