Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Rosa Mexicano Burlington

Rosa Mexicano in Burlington took over the space where Besito resided. A chain restaurant replacing another chain restaurant. If you are looking for Tex-Mex in an enjoyable environment, welcome.


They have a pleasant patio outside.


The bar and the hostess stand haven't moved. They opened up the dining room, and it's much more inviting now.


You get chips (cold) and a pleasantly looking salsa. Unfortunately, the salsa was bland, very bland.
From the lunch menu, I picked the CHOPPED CHEESE ALAMBRE ($12). "Certified angus beef® ground beef, bacon, cheese, poblano peppers, tomato, onion, shredded lettuce, ketchup, charred jalapeño mayo, flour tortilla". Served with rice and beans. Both the rice and the beans were barely lukewarm. They just opened, so I'm not complaining. The tomato rice was OK. The beans needed salt but were otherwise really good with a nice consistency. Missing in the tacos were the poblano peppers, onion, and ketchup unless they were incorporated with the beef. However, if items are listed in the description, I expect them to be present. The filling was tasty, and I could taste the bacon. The cheese was melted onto the tortilla, and they got a point for that. The ground beef was dry.

Lunch CRISPY SHRIMP TEMPURA ($16). "Shaved cabbage, salsa verde, pickled oregano aïoli, corn tortilla". They forgot to mention the very spicy something in the little glass whatchamacallit. The excellent black beans and rice was hot today. There was nothing tempura-like about the batter. It was fried so hard that I could chip the plate with it. And the tail was left on. Does that make sense to anyone? What was I supposed to do? Eat it? Despite that, I enjoyed my lunch outside. Probably not my best decision since it was windy. No chips and salsa today.

Brunch CHORIZO AND EGG QUESADILLA ($16). "Two eggs, chorizo, chihuahua cheese, crema, pico de gallo, cotija cheese. Served with rice and beans". It was four gigantic slices of quesadilla. It was delicious, and the cheese was melted. The beans were cold, and since this was the second time, I did complain. They brought out a side of beans that was HOT. How hot? "I'll show you hot" hot. I just mixed in the cold beans, and everyone was happy. I wasn't very hungry for some reason, so I had one slice of the quesadilla with rice and beans, and I was done! It was actual crema and not sour cream, so they get points for that. I asked my very nice waitress about the chips and salsa and if they were still serving them. She said they were understaffed this morning, and she just forgot. They just opened, so no big deal.

Lunch BIRRIA QUESATACOS ($15). "Queso oaxaca, cilantro, onions, consommé dip, corn tortilla". I asked if you still get chips and salsa? Of course, she said. What she didn't say was that they are now $4. The tacos were loaded with tender meat (chuck?), but all unseasoned. Pouring the spicy consomme over them helped a lot. The salsa was much improved this time and was actually tasty.

You get linen napkins and excellent silverware.

Address: 75 Middlesex Turnpike, Burlington, MA 01803 Phone: (781) 352-9190

Many eyes go through the meadow, but few see the flowers in it.

– Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment