Thursday, April 13, 2017

New Sapporo Newton

It's a beautiful day again when I head out to New Sapporo in Newton, and I have used the GoPapaya app to reserve a table to get a nice 20% discount.


A pretty sign on a very busy street with a number of really excellent restaurants.



They are located downstairs, but it was pleasant and bright inside.



I figure that I start with an appetizer since otherwise, with the discount and GoPapayas rewards, my lunch would be free, including the tip. Shumai ($6). "Shrimp dumpling served steamed or fried". I went with the traditional steamed, and it was really tender and tasty.



Salmon Gopdol ($11.95). "Prepared in sizzling stone pot of rice with assorted vegetable. Come with miso soup and a side of spicy chilli sauce". I have never heard this referred to as Gopdol, but I have had the stone pot version before. Yes, the pot is hot. I also never had it with raw fish so this was interesting. Normally you add the chili sauce and mix everything up, but that would cook the fish, so I picked at the crispy rice and veggies around the outside while eating the fish. The pot was soo hot that the underside of the salmon started to cook, despite being on top of the rice and veggies. This was excellent and when the fish was gone, I mixed up the rest and finished the dish off. A very pleasant lunch.

Address 81 Union Street, Newton MA 02459
Phone number (617) 964-8044



2 comments:

  1. Gopdol or dolsot are the Korean terms for the hot stone pot

    ReplyDelete