Sunday, August 19, 2018

Sugidama Somerville

Sugidama Soba & Izakaya in Somerville are really in Davis Square. Izakaya is a type of informal Japanese gastropub.


Parking is free on Sundays, and they also have customer parking available after five. Check with the hostess.



The interior is inviting and bright with sleek furniture. They have both a bar bar and a sushi bar.



Appetizer day today. First to arrive was the Kurobuta Sausage (2.5). "Grilled honey pork sausage". It was grilled nicely but could have been any sausage.



The next item from the Yakitori section was the Negi Pon (3.5). "Berkshire pork belly w/ scallion and ponzu sauce". It's hard to see the pork, but this was tasty.



More hot appetizers. Scallop Hokkaiyaki (10). "Baked scallops w/ crab stick, mushroom & roe". This was absolutely fantastic, hot, spicy, creamy and really tasty. I could have had another one. I blew out the flame before it could be overcooked.


Last was the Lobster Okonomiyaki (11). "Cabbage pancake topped with lobster salad". This was my least favorite dish, and it was also cold. It did have real lobster in the salad, but the pancake lacked texture. It was just soft and soft. It would have helped if the pancake was crispy or the cabbage had some texture left. The service was delightful, but to my horror, I realized on my way home that I undertipped. Now I really feel bad. The Hot Soba Tempura seemed to be really popular.

Address 256 Elm Street Davis Square, MA 02144
Phone number (617) 764-5770

No comments:

Post a Comment