Friday, February 1, 2019

Sichuan Garden II Woburn

Sichuan Garden II is located in the historic Baldwin House, originally built in 1661 and the oldest home in Woburn. It's still a house so there are numerous dining areas inside as well as bigger function rooms upstairs. A bar area was added to the upstairs after the downstairs bar become famous.



Despite what it says on the door, lunch starts at 11:30 on weekdays. They have private parking. This place fell off my lunch radar since the lunch menu isn't very exciting, but I noticed a dish that has either been added or I have utterly failed to notice it.



The dining rooms are small, and this is another reason I stopped going. I like to have more people around so I can see what they are having. This is, in fact, the only room I have been in. I do takeout from here since their Sichuan dishes are all top class. Their Chengdu chicken wings are not to be missed.



They give you a carafe of ice water on the table, and I really like that. The H&S soup is excellent here. It's hot and sour and has a really complex flavor. Another plus is that the default utensil is the chopstick. To me, that means they are expecting Chinese people to show up and eat.



Double Cooked Bacon w/ Leeks ($10.95). In fact, everything on the lunch menu is now $10.95. I ordered it with white rice and got the veg fried rice. I never order the fried rice since you usually get the brown gloppy rice that is terrible. I'm glad I got this since this was a properly fried rice and it was very tasty. Choice of spring roll or chicken wing. The menu correctly says chicken wing, singular, since this is what you get. Don't even think about the spring roll, the chicken wing is absolutely delicious, crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside. It's also very tasty. Bacon it isn't, but it's pork belly as it should be in this dish. The pork belly was soft, and the leeks were cooked correctly and tender. So often you get the dark, dry bits of the leek that's not very good. There was also a few hot peppers in there. I have to put this place back in rotation again since this was a fabulous dish. 
Somebody complained about small portions, and I find that strange since I usually get two meals out of a takeout dish.

Address: 2 Alfred St, Woburn, MA 01801 Phone: (781) 935-8488

No comments:

Post a Comment