Monday, April 15, 2019

Rang Indian Bistro Stoneham

This is a compilation of my recent lunch visits to Rang Indian Bistro in Stoneham.



There is free on-street parking and also the communal lot across the street.



02/25/19. Since the medium hot didn't work on my last visit, I ordered the lunch CHICKEN CURRY (7.95) spicy. "Boneless chicken cooked with fresh onions, garlic, & a unique blend of spices". I must admit that this time it was seriously spicy. I am now worried about how hot their Vindaloo will be. I was also told if I wanted the medium to be spicy, I should order it medium+. The very generous lunch serving was excellent and tasty as was the basmati rice. The chicken was tender. I asked if I could get dark meat chicken, but they don't do that. Their naan is great, light and fluffy.



I also got a small complimentary rice pudding that was actually very good. I usually stay away from the rice pudding since it's usually sickly sweet.



03/04/19. Today it was time for the lunch LAMB VINDALOO (HOT) (8.95) 9.95. "Very tender pieces of lamb marinated in fresh tomatoes & lemon, cooked with potatoes, ginger, hot spices, & fresh green herbs". It was marked as HOT on the menu, so I expected something really fierce, but the vindaloo was just a tad spicier than last weeks spicy. It was still really spicy, so I was happy. It was a different flavor profile from last week. They use lemon instead of vinegar, and that's better than nothing. The lamb was tender (mostly), but the rice wasn't as fluffy as before. There were only a couple pieces of potatoes, and I really appreciate that. Sometimes you get almost as much potatoes as meat.



03/11/19. Lunch GOA SHRIMP CURRY (8.95) 9.95. "The famous shrimp curry goa style prepared with freshly ground coconut & an array of masterfully blended spices". The prices on the menu both online and in the restaurant are wrong. Today the rice was back to its normal excellent quality. The shrimp were good sized and cooked perfectly. I ordered it medium+ and it was medium. Strange custom, this. The curry was very tasty and well seasoned. I must say that the food here impresses.



03/18/19. Lunch KABULI CHANA (6.95). "A north Indian Specialty-subtly flavored chickpeas & potatoes tempered with ginger & garlic". I ordered this spicy and got something that wasn't even medium. He took it back to the kitchen, and it comes back HOT. Now there was finely minced fresh chilis in there, and this was excellent. In addition to being hot, it was also very flavorful. This time I got charged the price on the menu.



04/01/19 Lunch CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA (7.95). "Charbroiled chicken tandoori cooked in a rich creamy tomato sauce". Today I got charged the menu price. I rarely get this dish since it mostly never is well executed. A good tikka masala should have a creamy, thick and tomatoey sauce. This one had none of that. The sauce was watery and really bland. The chicken had not seen the charbroil or a tandoori. It was just cut up white meat. I ordered it medium+ and got something I would have been happy with it I had ordered extra extra spicy. It was hot! It even had cut up fresh chilies. I like spicy, but this was not what I expected. This is by far the worst dish I have had here.



04/08/19 Lunch LAMB ROGAN JOSH (9.95). "Boneless tender pieces of lamb cooked w/ onions, garlic, fresh tomatoes, & fresh spices". I ordered it spicy, and finally, it was what I would call spicy. The lamb was tender, and there were fresh tomatoes. This was a very tasty dish, too bad you can't find lamb that actually tastes of lamb. First visit in a long time when the sun wasn't shining.



Either they have a problem with what's vegan, or I have.

Address: 6 Central St, Stoneham, MA 02180 Phone: (781) 438-8200

No comments:

Post a Comment