Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Mexican Restaurants. Part 3 of 3.

It ended up being a lot of restaurants visited, so I had to break it up into three parts. Link to Part 1 and Part 2. This was a very pleasant Quest since all places I visited were good, apart from one in part 2. So far, I have not found any amazing places apart from Taqueria El Amigo in Waltham and Cafe Azteca in Lawrence.

El Jalisco Mexican Grill in Beverly offers a Taco Tuesdays special of 3 real beef tacos, rice, and beans for $10.99. I opted for the Shrimp Quesadilla priced at $14, which had nicely melted cheese and big shrimp, although it was slightly too charred for my liking. The rice was excellent and not overcooked, while the beans were a bit bland but improved with a splash of the green sauce. The guacamole was good; I found it a good value for money. The service was friendly and pleasant. 9/10


Mexico Lindo Melrose served Chorizo con Huevos for $14.75. The waiter directed me to their website when I requested a lunch menu. Although the food was pretty good, the chorizo lacked spice. The rice and beans were delicious, and the plate was sizable. The cabbage salad was refreshing from typical lettuce with a tomato slice. I asked for a couple more minutes to review the dinner menu when the waiter arrived, not ten. 8/10


Tequila's Grill & Cantina in Chelmsford opens at 12 pm, which disappointed me as I wanted to have lunch at noon instead of 12:30 pm. The salsa was thin and served in small portions with good chips. The Tacos de Birria ($17.99) was delicious, and the beef was tender. However, the dish had too much cilantro and onions, which I balanced by removing 75%. The consomme was excellent, and the service was attentive with a smile. Nevertheless, the dish was difficult to eat, as the filling would fall out when dipped into the consomme.. 8/10

At Acapulcos in Beverly, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a lunch menu that wasn't available online. The chips were fresh, and the salsa had a bit of heat. I picked Choose Two for $10.95 - Chile Relleno and a Burrito open-faced with Chile Verde. The Relleno was huge, with a light batter and delicious cheese. The Burrito had a large serving of tasty Chile Verde but lacked other fillings. However, the rice was outstanding. When I asked the waiter about the beans and rice missing from the Burrito, he said they were served on the plate, which suited me as I got more pork. The service was excellent.. 9/10

Tu y Yo in Somerville. I had the Brunch Huevos con Papas y Chorizo ($10.95), which included Mexican sausage and potatoes slowly cooked with a choice of two fried or scrambled eggs. It was served with soft tortillas, black beans, avocado, and sweet fried plantains. Although I typically don't like plantains, I was pleasantly surprised by how delicious they tasted. The chorizo and eggs with potatoes were well-seasoned, and the black beans were outstanding. The dish was topped with a couple of avocado slices, further enhancing the flavors. Overall, it was a delightful meal. 9/10

Cafe Azteca has moved to the other side of the block on Essex Street in Lawrence. I tried the Bistec Chilango ($22), which included sautéed thin sliced steak cooked in a spicy red habanero salsa with potatoes and cilantro. It was deliciously spicy, and the hanger steak was tender and flavorful. The dish also came with rice and beans, with the refried beans being a standout due to their excellent texture. Cafe Aztec stands out from other Mexican restaurants by offering authentic Mexican cuisine. The service was pleasant but very relaxed.9.5/10

I visited Ixtapa in Lexington, which lacks a lunch menu and a website. Laredo (choose two) $15; I chose the Chile Relleno and Tostada with Chile Verde for $15. The beans had a great texture, and the rice was decent. The Tostada with Chile Verde was good, and the Chile Relleno was well-prepared with cheese and sauce on top. Although the salsa was well-seasoned, it was thin. The chips were warm and fresh. The service was extremely slow, despite having only five occupied booths. I had to search for the waitress to get a water refill, a to-go box, and check. I also noticed that the tostada lacked crispiness. 8/10

I went to Terramar Mexican Grill in Lawrence, hoping to try their reasonably priced brunch, but unfortunately, it was no longer available. Instead, I ordered the Tacos de Res for $17. The dish consisted of three corn tortilla tacos with onions, cilantro, fresh lime, rice, and beans. The mystery meat (probably short rib) in the tacos was mostly tender with some gristly bits and well-seasoned. The green tomatillo salsa was average, but the red spicy salsa was excellent. The rice and beans were both great, and the chips and salsa were the best I've had in a while, even though they were cold. 9/10 despite metered parking.


Santa Fe Burrito Grill in Melrose. It was surprisingly big inside. Burrito Bowl ($9.20). You go down the counter, adding what you want. The carnitas were tender and juicy but could have used some seasoning. The Spanish rice was cooked well; not sure what it has in common with Spain. The cheese sauce was tasty. Overall a good deal. They do have a bar with seating. Some booth seating and padded benches. 7/10


Chipotle in Woburn. I rarely go here, but I always find the food delicious with fresh veggies, and I was very happy with my burrito bowl today. I picked Carnitas ($10.15) as my protein and medium salsa. What can I say? It was tasty, and a half was enough for lunch. 7/10




I tried the Burrito Bowl with Barbacoa from North East of the Border in the Burlington Mall food court for $12. Although they claimed it was brisket, I believe it was chuck and overly tenderized. However, there was a decent amount of meat in the bowl. Despite looking messy, it tasted better than it would have in a burrito. The rice was well-cooked, but it was too wet. There were some beans in the bowl, but only a little. The dish lacked seasoning, so I used the hot sauce packets that came with it. 5/10


And now, some fun playing with ChatGP.

Me: Is chili verde an authentic Mexican dish?

ChatGP: Yes, chili verde is an authentic Mexican dish. It originated in the northern regions of Mexico, particularly in the states of Sonora and Chihuahua. The dish typically consists of chunks of pork cooked in a green sauce made with tomatillos, green chilies, and various spices. The dish is often served with rice, beans, and tortillas.

Chili verde is a popular dish in many parts of Mexico, as well as in Mexican-American cuisine. While there may be variations in the recipe depending on the region, the basic components and preparation methods remain consistent with traditional Mexican cooking techniques.

True or not, who knows, but it sounds genuine.

"Life is a book, and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read."

- Cassandra Clare, The Infernal Devices

No comments:

Post a Comment