Saturday, May 9, 2015

Cha Yen Watertown

I have been dying to try Cha Yen Thai Cookery in Watertown since they opened late last year but never got around to it until now. Boy, did I miss something! They are located on a busy street in Watertown, almost on the Belmont line, and parking can be tricky. I finally found a spot, not as close as I would have liked, and after doing a few u-turns. After I had parked a cop got out of his car nearby, didn't see him either, and he proceeded to lecture me on my illegal u-turns, but let me go after he had realized I was just a tourist in Watertown, so the day started out well.



Small on the outside and even smaller inside, three stools at the window counter and two two-tops are all that's available, but I got lucky and took a window seat.



The menu is written on a chalkboard, but they also have real menus, but be sure to check out the specials on the board.



From the starter section, I started with the Roti ($5) that was described on the menu as "Grilled pancake with chicken curry sauce". Not sure if I agree with that. It was a delicious and oh so flaky and crispy Roti with an amazing Massaman curry dipping sauce. The curry had some incredible finely diced veggies in it.



This was followed by a Larb Salad ($8). Choice of ground chicken, ground pork, or assorted mushrooms with chili, toasted rice powder, mint, and red onion. Despite not being a huge fan of mushrooms, I had heard so much praise for the mushroom variant that I had to try it. I think this was the first time that I had a Thai dish that was seasoned appropriately and not dumbed down. This was SPICY but in a really good way and all the other flavors were there as well, and the toasted rice powder added a nice crunch and texture. Can't wait to try the pork one.



From the Grill Section, I ordered the Calamari ($7). Marinated in ginger soy sauce. Cooking calamari isn't easy, but again the chef excelled and produced a perfectly cooked dish. The calamari still had texture without even have a hint of rubberiness. Watch out for the dipping sauce, seriously spicy and sweet.



Open kitchen, so you can see how all the goodies are produced and everything are, of course, cooked to order. Now when I have figured out how to get here, just using just backroads, I'll be back to try more interesting dishes from this delightful little place. The people working there could not be nicer, and I also found everything to be really good value.

Cha Yen Thai Cookery on Urbanspoon

1 comment: