Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Painted Burro Somerville

The Painted Burro in Somerville doesn't do lunch but they do brunch on Sat & Sun, so I paid them a visit today and got free parking just behind the restaurant. In Somerville! I had to ask the host of it was truly free parking and got that confirmed. This overcast and cold Saturday are looking better already.



Free parking behind them and also across the street. Very nice looking front of the restaurant. I always thought that this place looked cool, now let's go inside.



The dining room was pleasant and bright with "rustic" furniture.



Super fresh chips and a mild but delightful salsa arrives quickly. You do get linen napkins, nice. They were going to seat me at the "let's hide this guy" table, but I spied a window table and asked for that instead.



Decided to splurge a bit and went with the CRABCAKE BENEDICT (16). "2 poached eggs, maine crab, refried beans, home-style english muffins, smoked-chile hollandaise, home fries". The muffins were black on the bottom and greasy on the top and rock hard in the middle so not actually edible. The crab cake was excellent, mostly crab and very tasty. The refried beans were good, but I could have done with a lot more of it, this was just a very thin layer. The home fries were almost the best part of the meal, nicely cooked and really well seasoned, apart from salt, that is. The poached eggs was a disaster, overcooked and rubbery. I would have complained, but I didn't see my waitress again until I was done.



This doesn't really qualify as a poached egg, not even on a bad day.



They got busy even in the bar area. There was a counter with seating behind me at the window and that wouldn't be a bad spot either. Not a bad brunch in a very nice place but not really a success either.

The Painted Burro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment