Saturday, February 20, 2016

Loui Loui Stoneham

Loui Loui in Stoneham opened a week ago in the Redstone Plaza. They advertise themselves as serving Louisiana seafood. No working website yet.



They took over the spot where Uno's Something resided and they took over from Baja Fresh that I really liked.


You pick and order from the menu on the wall. For the seafood section, you pick your protein, sauce and level of heat. The prices are per pound and I was hoping to do half a pound of shrimp and half a pound of crayfish but they only sell it by the pound, so that didn't really work out. I asked where the crayfish was from and he said "I have to get back to you on that" and never did. Hopefully, it's from Louisiana and not the cheap Chinese variety. I went with the Shrimp ($13), Louisiana sauce and medium hot.



Paper on the tables and paper towels on the tables. With the big windows, it's nice and bright inside.



The food comes out in a bag swimming in the sauce. This is going to be messy so put on your bib!



The shrimp was good sized and unshelled with the heads left on. The good part was that the Louisiana sauce was delicious and even with the medium heat, packed a good punch. The unfortunate part was that the shrimp was terrible. Mushy and soft to the point that it was hard to get the shell off. I was going to go back tomorrow for either the Shrimp Po'boy or any of the baskets but I'll wait and see if this place improves the quality of the shrimp, this was just terrible. They have only been open for a week but that's really not a good excuse for this.

Loui Loui Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. I really wanted to like this place going in. I read the above review while I was at the restaurant. It is very accurate.

    I ordered the same seafood shrimp boil and had the exact same experience. The medium spice option was perfectly spicy, although a bit too salty. I also think there was way too much sauce in the bag. The shrimp was terrible. It was mushy as though it had been frozen for a long time and over cooked. For a restaurant with a very limited menu and few items, they should all be spot on. I ordered the fried calamari and it was excellent. The batter was light and crisp and was fresh with no oily flavor to it. The calamari was tender but not mushy. This was some of the best fried calamari I have had. I would like to have contacted the restaurant owner directly, but they do not have any website or business contact other than the phone at the front desk.

    Some of the improvements I would like to see, if this restaurant goes forward, is to have the seafood fresh. Also the seafood boil has options for individual choices but no combination choice. I think that would be key in a true Louisiana style seafood boil. Also cut back on the amount of sauce and salt the seafood "swims" in. Hopefully the owner find these reviews and can tweak the business. I like the concept and I think it has potential, but as it is now I would not go back, other than for the fried seafood. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome.

    ReplyDelete