Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Khao Hom Billerica

Khao Hom Thai & Pho in Billerica has been open for about a year and I just recently heard rave reviews of their food. A Google translation of the name gets me "eat home". Not sure if that's correct, "Home cooking" maybe? The link to GrubHub currently displays lunch dishes, but that might change at dinner time. This is stupid since I can't check out the lunch dishes until lunch time. On Wednesdays in February they have an all-day special of Chicken Pad That for $4.95.



They are located in a small plaza on Rte 129 in what look like a mostly residential area. Plenty of parking. It took less than 20 minutes for me to get here.



The inside was very spartan, but the heat was on, and the place was spotless.



I had to start with the classic Tom Yum Soup ($4.95) with chicken. "Lemongrass, kalfir leaves, lime juice, onion. tomato, scallion, cilantro and spicy dressing. Hot and spicy". The soup was excellent with a really nice balance between the classic Thai flavors of sweet, sour, salty, bitter, creamy and hot. This was one flavorful soup with enough chicken to make it a meal in itself. The chicken was NOT dry, and that doesn't happen too often in Thai restaurants.



It turned out that the Khao Soi is only served in dinner size. "Egg noodles in a curry sauce with pickle green mustard, red onion, cilantro, on topped of crispy egg noodle". The nice lady (owner?) behind the counter had the kitchen make me a lunch sized portion since it was my first time here. How nice was that? The dinner price was not very expensive. Again I picked chicken as my protein and it was plenty of chicken and it was not dry. You mix everything together, and of course the crispy noodles get soggy, but they are only there for decoration anyway. This was another super tasty and well-balanced dish. A really super blend of spices with some heat. I would say below medium and she said mild, but at least I have a reference now. I'm looking forward to going back and try something medium. This is the most flavorful Thai food I had in a long time, and it's good enough that it's detour-worthy.



The condiment trays. I have never seen fish sauce offered, without asking for it.

Address 258 Salem Rd, Billerica, MA 01821
Phone 978-362-8269

No comments:

Post a Comment