Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Tequila's Wakefield

Tequila's Mexican Cantina in Wakefield opened recently. They are located a fair bit outside Wakefield center. They are next door to the excellent Blue Moon Grill. No website, but when I contacted them, they said that the menu would be identical to Tequila's Grill and Cantina. It was not. Neither restaurant has Chile Verde on the menu.



They have some outside seating and of course, off street parking. The parking lot is VERY busy.



The bar area.



The inside was very pleasant and bright. I really liked the decor.



You get linen napkins. Chips and salsa arrive promptly. The cold chips were either stale or crunchy. My next visit will determine which it was. You get three salsas, and it would be nice if the waitress explained what they were. I could figure out the green one (tomatillo), no idea about the red one, but it was tasty. The pink one I had to ask about, and it was chipotle crema, but it lacked chipotle. Maybee they could replace it with a warm bean dip?



From the lunch menu, I picked the Pork Carnitas Tacos (10) that comes with rice and beans even if the menu failed to mention this. "Melted jack cheese, slow cooked pork, pico de gallo, escabeche red onions, queso fresco." It was two good sized tacos with plenty of tender pork. The cheese was melted. I really like the thin soft corn tortillas. The rice was very good and seasoned nicely. The refried beans were also very good, tasty and they had a nice texture. Based on the rice and beans alone, I'll be back. The service was very indifferent. I did get my water refilled, but it took a long time to get the check, and in the end, the manager ran my CC.

I visited again a week later on Taco Tuesday.



This time I went with the Chori Papa (9) from the Street Style Tacos section. "Tacos with chorizo and potatoes, melted cheese, queso fresco and crema, on a crispy flour, served with rice and beans". The jury is still out on the chips, but I think they were fresher today. The rice and beans are very good. I'm not a fan of the deep fried taco shells, but they were tender. It was way more potatoes than chorizo, and the potatoes had the skin left on them. I wouldn't have minded so much if it was just a thin skin, but the skins were very thick and really dark. The lunches are a good deal.

Address: 979 Main St, Wakefield, MA 01880
Phone: (978) 710-5512

No comments:

Post a Comment