Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Purple Bamboo North Billerica

They have now reopened under new management. No more Hot Pots. Now they just serve American Chinese food. They never responded to their contact us form.

On my way back from NH, I stopped for lunch at Purple Bamboo in North Billerica. Somebody I trust about food recommended this place, and I had to ask why?



It looks like your average suburban old school Chinese restaurant. A quick look at the menu confirms this.



The inside was really well kept and impeccably clean. This is the bar area with bar seating and some high tops.



The dining room was nice and bright.



This is what is easily overlooked on the lunch menu, and the reason he recommended this place. They have several different Hot Pots for $10.95, and the seafood one tops out at $12.95. I went with lamb and the standard chicken broth. Next time I'll spring for the spicy broth (+1). You get a big bowl with veggies and a choice of "undo or rice noodles". I went with the udon. You also get a side dish with chili oil, garlic and scallions. There is also a bowl with a dipping sauce. The veggies were fresh, and the chicken broth was OK. The meat starts out frozen but is sliced so thin that it defrosts in no time. The corn on the cob goes in first and comes out last. I forgot to cut up the bok choi, so it was a bit unwieldy to eat. The waitress warned me that the meat was sliced so thinly that it should only cook for 30 seconds. Well, five seconds are more likely. This was plenty of food, and I was very happy with my lunch, especially for the price. They got a few more customers but never got busy. The service was pleasant.

Address: 265 Boston Rd, North Billerica, MA 01862 Phone: (978) 294-8994

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation for hot pot! Also I just found your blog, and I love it! Simple, to the point, good variety of food, and great pictures.

    ReplyDelete