Wednesday, April 20, 2022

IV Seasons Restaurant Lowell

I found another Portuguese restaurant, and I really like Portuguese food.

IV Seasons Restaurant in Lowell doesn't have a website, but their FB Page shows their menu. Be aware that there is a 4% upcharge for using a CC.

The biggest perk of this place is that they have free on-street parking. So if you see a spot when turning onto their street, grab it. Going around to get back here is a nightmare.

The inside is nice and bright, and I like the "Seat Yourself" sign. There are more tables on the other side of the big bar and behind me.


You get excellent bread and butter after you have seated yourself. The basket also includes your steak knives.


I was going to have the standard Carne Alentejana but got sidetracked by the specials board. 1/2 Rack of Lamb with Shrimp and two sides for $18.95 could not be ignored. The shrimp with garlic was cooked perfectly. I must admit that I dipped the bread in the garlic oil! The rack of lamb ordered rare was perfectly cooked and really tender with a nice char on the outside. For my sides, I settled on Portuguese fries and rice. I have found that the rice is usually surprisingly good. The table service from the bartender was pleasant. Seems it can get loud in here when they are busy. 11/03/21


Alentejana ($17.95 18.95?). There are several options for this dish, and I went with the traditional pork and clams. The three clams were humongous. One was good, one had some sand in it, and the third had a lot of grit. Go with the garlic shrimps instead. The pork was good, the cubed potatoes were excellent, and the rice pilaf was pleasant. However, the sauce was completely missing, and there were only some pan drippings. The specials on the board were the same as on my last visit. 11/17/21


I was going to have the lamb again on this gray Friday, but the best-laid plans, etc. Turns out they start serving the lamb early in the week, and when it's gone, it's gone. They only do it every other week, so it's best to call and check. Shrimp and Scallops Scampi ($19.95) over pasta from the specials board was the choice instead. Shrimp and scallops were cooked well, and so was the pasta. Plenty of garlic and butter, so it was tasty. I like the service here, "Do you want your usual table?" 12/24/21

On my next visit, she said, We have the Rack of Lamb on special, as soon as I walked in. I was going for another traditional dish, which didn't work out too well. The lamb was again excellent.


In a Portuguese restaurant, you have to try a cup of the classic Caldo Verde ($4). The bowl is only 75¢ more. This was an excellent rendition, thick and creamy with slices of sausage. A big glug of excellent olive oil on top.

Mariscada ($17.95). "Scallops, shrimp and squid cooked in a white wine and tomato sauce; served over rice or pasta". Rice or pasta? I decided to go with the rice and figured it would soak up the sauce nicely. The seafood was cooked perfectly, including the squid. The sauce was excellent and seasoned well. The bread is super fresh, and the butter is actually at room temp. I'm now paying with cash after finding out about the 4% surcharge. 02/03/22

Haddock IV Seasons ($15.90). "Broiled Haddock in IV Season's tomato, onion and pepper sauce; choice of one side". Since the haddock was served with a sauce, I made an exception from my "No more Haddock" rule. I also went with the pleasant rice again. The haddock was cooked well, and the sauce was delicious. 03/01/22

Address: 373 Central St, Lowell, MA 01852 Phone: (978) 452-9044

I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted.

-- Jack Kerouac

3 comments:

  1. C/C surcharges for using a C/C are illegal in MA.
    MA General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140D, Section 28A
    (2) No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check or similar means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, because offering a "cash discount" IS legal

      Delete
  2. Isn't the Credit card surcharge against MA law? Meal looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete